Thursday 30 June 2011



My name is Sushil Eapen and I live in Bangalore, India. My hobby is woodworking - and I enjoy quiet moments during my spare time making wooden furniture or accessories for the house in my workshop that my kids aptly named ‘Dad’s workshop’.
Ever since I can remember, I had a passion for taking things apart and putting them back or repairing appliances in the house. My early exposure to woodworking was during my school days when all the boys had to attend carpentry classes. However, the real interest in woodworking picked up during my college years when I had access to some carpentry hand tools at home. The tool selection was limited and so there was not much opportunity to make interesting things. This was during pre-internet days, and we did not have access to woodworking magazines or forums at that time.  However, the interest in woodworking remained with me during my graduate school days in the United States and during my 12 year stay in America. I am a self trained woodworker and make no claims to be exceptionally gifted in this skill.

When I built my house at Sunny Brooks in Bangalore, I made sure that there was some space set aside for a workshop to pursue personal hobbies. The workshop has access from the garden at the south end of the house. I wanted to make sure that it was private and that I will be left undisturbed while  pursuing creative projects. 


Sometimes our four year old cocker spaniel Phoebe will come into the workshop, trying to get me to play with her or occupy a corner of the shop chewing some left-over piece of wood.
Once the house was ready, the next step was to furnish the workshop appropriately for the woodworking hobby. I had a bunch of basic tools with me, and so I decided to build the work bench myself as one of my early projects .Along with the workbench, I made a pegboard to hang all my woodworking tools and mounted it on the wall above the bench so that I can easily reach for them while I am working.










Tools
I use only hand tools for my hobby and the only electric tool in my workshop is a Bosch drill which I use mostly for drilling holes on the wall. Recently I found an old hand drill from a shop in Bangalore and I take pride in the philosophy of ‘Woodworking Unplugged’. Electric tools are very convenient, but I like to work the old fashioned way – using hand tools. I prefer to take my time on each project. It is the journey and not the destination that I enjoy and it doesn’t matter to me if it takes a month to finish a small project which could be completed in a day by an expert woodworker with modern electric gadgets. Depending on my mood and time availability, I may work for an hour or two each evening or longer during weekends until the project is completed. Sunday afternoons are the best time for me to be in the workshop. I usually turn on the radio and listen to music while I work, and there is a table fan to cool me down if gets warm during early afternoon. Fortunately, I live in a city that has fantastic weather around the year, and it is quite cool in the workshop most part of the day.

I also like to collect woodworking hand tools while I travel. I brought a set of Stanley chisels, a fast-cut saw, a bench plane and some carving tools from the United States during my travel a few years ago. I also brought some chisels, a wood saw and a bench plane from Japan last year. The Japanese saw looks different from any that I have seen in India and it has a long wooden handle wrapped in cane, and a thin cutting blade. The wooden Japanese bench plane is also interesting and I use both of them quite often for my projects. The rest of the tools are all from local hardware stores in Bangalore.  I sought the assistance of the carpenters who did the woodwork in my house during construction to select some good quality chisels and a hand saw.  
Projects
After the basic workshop furnishing was in place, I was actively looking for some projects to keep me occupied in the workshop.

During one of our family holiday in Pondicherry a few years ago, on the east coast highway I spotted a small shop selling old wooden window panes. When I examined the assortment, I had a feeling that the wood beneath the old paint was good, and so I loaded up as much as I could buy in the trunk of the car and brought it back with me to Bangalore. My first project was to create a magazine rack that could be mounted on the wall, and I decided to work with the window panes from Pondicherry. I used a paint stripper and carefully stripped away the old green paint and some great wood emerged from underneath. I loved the grains and the deep brown color of the seasoned wood and went on to cut the pieces for the magazine rack. It took me hours to bench plane the wooden strip to perfection, and when the two magazine racks were completed, I decided not to paint or polish. It was a good decision - it would have been a shame to cover the natural wood color with chemicals especially since the wood itself is perhaps several decades old. Before starting a project, I usually browse the net for ideas, but in the end I try to use my own original ideas – after all the objective of the hobby is to use creativity and originality. The final product of my creation is usually not of ‘exhibition’ quality but it is all in the eyes of the beholder and the personal satisfaction is immeasurable. As I alluded earlier, it is the journey that gives me pleasure and not the destination.           
When my family noticed that most of the woodworking projects are remaining in the workshop, there were several requests for making small accessories for the ‘other’ rooms in the house. I decided to pursue one such request for a small mantel shelf for the bedroom wall. The Pondicherry window panes came handy again and after many hours of planning, measuring, cutting and planing – this wooden mantle emerged from ‘Dad’s workshop’. There were several black furniture items in the bedroom and so I decided to paint the curved support pieces black color. I had to use a few wood screws to mount the shelf to the wall, but a touch of black paint did the trick to hide the screw head against the wood.
To give you an idea, this project took over a week to complete including a weekend. An expert carpenter would wonder why it took that long to make a simple shelf, but for me it is not the speed of completion but it is all about the chance to vent out a bit of creativity, planning the project in my head, selecting the wood, careful measurement and sometimes the agony of making mistakes made along the way. In carpentry, experts say that ‘you measure twice and cut once’. How true! The trick lies in carefully measuring the wood using a tape measure, marking right angle lines using tri-square and finally cutting along the straight line using the hand saw. The final finishing work is usually done using a chisel and one of my selections of bench planes.

Sometimes it is difficult to buy some wooden furniture or accessories exactly how you want it, and so I simply build it to my specification.



Wood is relatively expensive in India due to high demand and limited supply. I try to use recycled wood as much as possible. There are depots across the city tucked away in obscure locations, that sell recycled wood from torn-down roofing structures or large pine crates. They are a treasure trove for woodworking hobbyists. New wood is available in numerous lumber yards in the outskirts of the city, and there are a few near my house that sell local and imported wood. It is interesting to visit these lumber yards and see wood stocked in various colors, hardness, sizes and shapes. Most of these businesses are not very friendly towards hobbyists, but there are a few who don't mind people browsing around the back corners of these yards.
As I see it, the woodworking has many advantages. It provides me a bit of ‘my time’ to think while I am working alone in the workshop. After the busy schedule at work, it gives me a lot of pleasure to spend some time on my own doing something creative and I really look forward to coming home and resuming what I left behind the previous day. At the end of each day, I can see the incremental progress – and it always something to look forward to when I come home after dealing with the pressures of the typical office day. I really believe that woodworking also tests your critical thinking skills – it is essential that you have to analyze, weigh options, and make decisions related to joints and fit. After doing a bit of woodworking myself, I have a developed deep respect for professional carpenters especially the master carpenters at project sites that plan and decide the selection of wood, type of joints, taking measurements and making sure that the fit is perfect. One thing I learnt early is to study the direction of the grain before planing or using the chisel for the cut. It is very important because the wrong decision related to the grain direction can cause wood to split, especially while using the chisel.
Woodworking also gives a lot of exercise, and in the sedentary lifestyle that we live these days it is great to get a bit of exercise and enjoy the process all along. Sometimes I have to use a hand saw to make long cuts, and I will need to take frequent breaks to give the arms a bit of rest. Planing can also put some strain on the back, but it should be fine as long as you don’t stretch in crazy angles or put too much stress without taking breaks in between.
Finally, having a hobby like woodworking gives me a reason to get away from TV watching and I can categorically state that it is so much more satisfying to go to bed knowing that the last few hours were spent in doing something creative and interesting versus sitting in front of TV and surfing channels for want of something better to do before sleep.




We need to encourage people around us to think creatively and come up with original and innovative ideas that lead to creation of new products or improved services. Many original products have to be designed and created in India that others aspire to own. Our education system often stifles creativity, and fails to produce original and innovative thinkers. Through woodworking, I hope to inspire at least a few from our country to think creatively leading to a new outlook towards work and life.

You can write to me if you wish. My email address is sushileapen at hotmail.com
(written this way to avoid spam emails).

While I am not in my workshop during evenings and weekends, my day time avatar - Founder and CEO of Silver Oak Health (www.silveroakhealth.com), a digital healthcare initiative that help people learn skills for coping with stress, anxiety and depression.



60 comments:

  1. Sushil
    I loved your blog. The shelf looks very good! Pity I live so far away,I can't see all the lovely things you've made. Look forward to pictures of more items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blog..

    Goes to show we don’t need hi –tech, expensive technology to enjoy simple pleasure in life.
    Hope the young people of Bangalore will be inspired to take up this hobby. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sushil
    Great hobby! Keep the posts coming.
    Im sure R won't mind unless you start sleeping in the workshop!
    I've got a nice hand drill and some very classic hand tools with me that I will try to bring when I come next to India.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mr.Sushil
    I'm a student of Srishti School of Design,Yelahanka and for my college project I need to know more activities taken up by hobbyists like you. Please let me know how I could get in touch with you.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sushil,
    Awesome hobby which you have rather than spending week ends in Bars, Hotels, Pups & Malls. Nice pleasure in Life. I could understand.

    Shiv

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful avatar!
    Reminds me of those hand-made wood marvels in the old 'tharavads' of Kerala. Temples in Kerala too have exquisite wood-works made out of hand.Great hobby!

    Interestingly, I too work for the same publishing company at Noida! Hope we meet sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My God!
    I never knew of this side to you! This is so inspiring. And your deep love for your hobby communicates itself so clearly and simply through your writing.
    Now there is an added reason to visit Bangalore soon, apart from the loveliness of the city itself.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sushil,

    I ran into your blog while searching for places in Bangalore where I can buy some basic carpentry tools. My association with carpentry is more than 30 yrs old when I was in school when I used lathe machines, did work with some chisels and kind of stuff. One of my favorite projects was a hanging book shelf with oval shaped sides for every shelf and each shelf connected to the other with ropes. Very mechanically inclined and generally been told that I deprive poor guys off their jobs - but do it more for satisfaction rather than save money.

    Would like to see your works and get some lessons and indulge in creating things for home over weekends. Would appreciate if you could let me know when you holding your next classes and will surely join if I am in town.

    Praveen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is best to learn the right techniques from someone. unfortunately I do not have anything useful to mail to you.

    Sushil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi a beautiful site. Wish you all the best for your woodworking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Eapen, please try to include my name in the next workshop.

    agnel.kurian at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi sushil,

    This is vageesh. i wanted learn carpentry and want to take it as a business. please suggest me your opinion and if so how can i start it please..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Try to learn the basics of woodworking from someone in your area, and see if you really enjoy it. Perhaps you can consider starting a business after you are sure that the interest is sustaining.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The next class is scheduled on September 7th and 14th.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sushil, do you still conduct workshops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do conduct these classes from time to time.

      Delete
  16. Hi Sushil, could you please let me know if you are conducting any classes in coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not scheduled the next woodworking class. I will announce the next class shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep me posted ...ummesalma@gmail.com thnx

      Delete
  18. Yes, please. Keep me posted as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please keep me posted too... narender.sadhana2014@gmail.com thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The next woodworking classes will be on October 24th and 31st. It will be a 2 day class for those who have no prior experience in woodworking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely video. Just discovered this blog. I am Deepti, living in HSR Layout, Bangalore. I love embroidery and working with threads. I also like tangling. For a few months now, I have been trying to make eco-friendly and sustainable choices of living . One result of this is that before I buy anything, I ask if I can make it myself. This is what led me to look up woodworking workshops in Bangalore and I stumbled upon your blogpost. Needless to say, I would be interested in participating in your workshop in future. I hope this comment reaches you.
    Regards
    Deepti Jois (deepti(dot)jois(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know when the next woodworking workshop is scheduled.

      Delete
  22. Hi Sushil,
    Nice blog and iam interested in workshop.
    Regards,
    lakshmi_gottipati@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Prabhu Dutt, Bannerughatta road, Bangalore22 January 2016 at 07:08

    Hi Mr.Sushil,

    I would be another one who will be extremely interested in carpentry. I have been making rather weak attempts to find someone who could impart this knowledge with passion and then found your blog. Please let me know when you are likely to start the next workshop.
    thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. apologies, i missed my mail id. it is prabhu_dutt@hotmail.com

      Delete
  24. Dear Sushil,

    I would like to get in touch with you regarding a woodwork workshop I would like to conduct.

    Could you please email me at nisjohn@gmail.com.

    Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Best regards,
    Nisha

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aah.. Unlucky me ! Didn't even search for blogs like this so far. Sushil sir, I stay in Basavanagudi. How far am I from your workshop? Need to see at least once.

    Please keep me informed about your next class.

    Thanks,
    Satya

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello sirji,
    I would love to be a part of your workshop, please let me know when and if you are planning a one sooner.

    My email I'd is a.sharma0122@gmail.com

    Thanks
    -Arun

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello sirji,
    I would love to be a part of your workshop, please let me know when and if you are planning a one sooner.

    My email I'd is a.sharma0122@gmail.com

    Thanks
    -Arun

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi,
    Loved ur blog. Was touched.
    I am a dentist. I do a lot of teeth and smile designing. My profession has a lot of tooth shaping, something like carpentry. Want to learn to work on wood too. Interested more in handtools than electric. Like u said, sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
    Do u still conduct workshops. If yes dates please.. so that I can attend and learn a few things.
    I would be very happy if I can get addresses of other carpentry work shops in Bangalore.
    Regards
    dr.reehan.1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey.. Loved ur blog... I would wnT to attend ur workshop if any happening. Pls share ur address or details to me.
    Partiosh
    Kumartosh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi,

    Interested in your workshop. Pls let me know whenever you pln to do it.

    thanks
    Naman
    namanmi2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Sir.. Loved ur blog when searching for basic carpentry tools & classes in Bangalore... I would really like to attend ur workshop. Could you please share the date & location of the next workshop you are planning to conduct for beginners.

    Mani Muthu
    manimuthup@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi, very inspiring article specially for a wood lover. I am located in Bangalore. I recently realised my interest in carpeting. I would like to know when you conduct workshop or if not could I team up with you in any of your projects. I just need few basic ideas to start with before my imagination takes over. I think I can create some crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Sushil
    I am looking for a wooden toy maker who can make customised toys for our store. Would you know anyone? Would you be able to help in this regard? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I do not know anyone who makes wooden toys

      Delete
  34. Hello Sir.. Loved ur blog when searching for basic carpentry tools & classes in Bangalore... I would really like to attend ur workshop. Could you please share the date & location of the next workshop you are planning to conduct for beginners.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Sir,
    Good morning!
    Could you include me for carpentry session, when it is held next time. I'm new this work.

    Nirmala

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Sushil,
    Are you still conducting training for Wood Working. I want to get some basic knowledge. Please let me know if any batches are there

    ReplyDelete
  37. Even I liked the blog. Excited to attend workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi,
    Beautiful creations.. Do inform about ur next workshop. Annbindusebastian@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi sir,I loved your experience so much that I want my 8 yr old kid to learn basic carpentry so that he can start making small things . Something on his own. Will you teach him. Pl email me at sreemoitra@rediffmail.com.
    Thanks
    Sree

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi sushil.. I'm from Hyderabad currently working for a restaurant.. I had been working for few interior companies where I picked up interest in carpentry.. And I actually made some furniture for my home with pallets.. I keep following other wood working pages to know more about it.. It would be great if I can get into the class sometime.. I basically have my week offs on Tuesdays.. Can you please write to my mail?? akhilkumard121@gmail.com ,thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sorry I didn't mention I live close to sarjapur near harlur road.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sorry I didn't mention I live close to sarjapur near harlur road.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi sushil.. I'm from Hyderabad currently working for a restaurant.. I had been working for few interior companies where I picked up interest in carpentry.. And I actually made some furniture for my home with pallets.. I keep following other wood working pages to know more about it.. It would be great if I can get into the class sometime.. I basically have my week offs on Tuesdays.. Can you please write to my mail?? akhilkumard121@gmail.com ,thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Sushil,

    Is very wonderful to read about your journey with carpentry. Do you still conduct workshops ? I would be interested in participating in the next one.

    warm regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a while since I scheduled a class. I will let you know when I am free to conduct a class.

      Delete
  45. I would be interested as well!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hello Sir

    Nice to read about your wood journey.
    I am very interested in attending the woodwork workshop. Please let me know work shop schedule. Thank you Sir
    Regards
    Ravi

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi sushil

    Do you take classes for beginners in wood working, if yes do let know when u plan to start

    Regards
    Melven

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hello Sushil,
    You had me at ‘Woodworking Unplugged’. If you would like to work with old whisky barrels and staves do let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hello Sushil,
    You had me at ‘Woodworking Unplugged’. If you would like to work with old whisky barrels and staves do let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Hi Sushil,

    Please do let us know if you are organizing a class :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi, I have been actively looking for workshops in the city, have attended a few workahopa but they felt too intimidating. I'm an illustrator and animator, if you had time, please let me know if you schedule workshop again anytime soon, I'd love to come.

    (thank you)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi!
    I would be interested to learn basics of carpentry..... Please let me know if you teach.
    I have no previous knowledge or experience in carpentry

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi! Do you still conduct classes? I would be interested to learn. When is your next workshop?

    ReplyDelete